8 Poisonous Foods We Commonly Eat

7. Rhubarb

Growing rhubarb in the garden? These pretty pink stalks are stellar in strawberry jam and berry pies, but stay away from the leafy greens. Unlike most garden goodies that offer extra value with many edible parts, the leaves of the rhubarb plant are to be avoided.


Advertisement

Oxalic acid is a nephrotoxic and corrosive compound found in these leaves, and it should not be ingested, as it is commonly found in metal cleaners and bleach.

Anthraquinone glycoside is another compound to watch out for. Unlike less harmful chemicals, those found in the rhubarb leaves can cause severe symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea and gastric pain.

8 Poisonous Foods We Commonly Eat


advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

LEAVE YOUR COMMENT →